The following documents provide guidance regarding the processing of criminal records checks (CRC) / child protective services (CPS) history checks on prospective foster and adoptive parents, substitute caregivers, and volunteers, as well as decisions as to whether or not employees may perform services under a contract with DHS.
- CPA foster families, substitute caregivers, and volunteers should complete the CPS Screening process. Be sure to read the latest "Updates" below prior to submitting your requests, to ensure that they can be processed.
- For foster families at initial approval, upload the screening form and agency cover letter in GA+SCORE and then email the CPS Screening Unit, following the instructions in the documents below.
- For foster families at re-evaluation or new household members after a home has been approved, use the Addenda screen in GA+SCORE to submit the screening request; you do not need to email the screening unit.
- For substitute caregivers and volunteers, email the screening form directly to the unit, following the instructions in the "CPS Screening Requests for Substitute Caregivers/Volunteers" document below.
- As of July 2020, CCI and CPA agency staff should also complete the CPS screening. This is an interim process pending further DFCS system enhancements.
- Upload the form below using the "Request a CPS Screening" option added to the purple Staff >> Profile screen. GA+SCORE will automatically notify the CPS Screening Unit, who will upload the results to GA+SCORE. For more details, see the eblast sent 7/17/2020.
- Note that for potential new staff, you will need to add them to the Staffing list in GA+SCORE in order to submit the request. Once you receive the results, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in removing the staff person (if you do not elect to hire them) or updating the agency hire date / role start date (if you do elect to hire them). Again, this is an interim process and we appreciate your patience.
- Applicant Form -- Updated 9/1/2019 (Right click and Save As... for editable PDF)
Updates and Instructions:
- Memo on CPS application form change / Adam Walsh screening (effective 9/1/2019)
- Memo on CPS application form change (effective 9/27/2018)
- Memo on CPS application signatures (effective 8/20/2018)
- Memo on CPS application responses (7/23/2018)
- Memo on CPS application process change (effective 11/1/2017)
- Memo on CPS application process change (9/21/2017)
- Memo on CPS application process change (8/1/17)
- Sample completed CPS application form (effective 9/27/18)
- Read about the latest CPS Screening Process in this eblast from May 2014: CPS Screening Process Updates.
- The updated instructions for completing the CPS Screening Process are available here: CPS Screening Process Instructions.
- Effective 5/29/2017, CPS is accepting screening requests for substitute caregivers/volunteers: CPS Screening Requests for Substitute Caregivers/Volunteers.
- CPS Screening Unit Q & A (2/27/2017)
The CPS Screening Unit hosts Q&A sessions in Macon every three months. Upcoming sessions will be posted here.
- CAR/CPS/PVA Training Materials (6/27/2016)
DHS Procedures for using GAPS - Updated 6/12/15
- Consent for Release of Information
State Child Abuse Registries (Adam Walsh Check)
In Georgia, private providers cannot submit Adam Walsh checks directly to other states. These requests should go through the CPS Screening Unit.