Becoming an RBWO Provider
Become a Provider
Room, Board and Watchful Oversight (RBWO) is the program administered by the Office of Provider Management (OPM), implemented on 7/1/07. RBWO is the provision of lodging, food, and the attentive and responsible care of children. OPM is committed to ensuring that each child has a safe place to live, adequately nutritious meals and continuous watchful oversight to ensure basic safety needs are met.
The following outlines the variety of program designations for Child Caring Institutions (CCI) and Child Placing Agencies (CPA):
CCI Program Designations:
- Additional Watchful Oversight (AWO)
- Maximum Watchful Oversight (MWO)
- 2nd Chance
- Independent Living Program (ILP)
CPA Program Designations:
- Base Watchful Oversight (BWO)
- Maximum Watchful Oversight (MWO)
- Specialty Base Watchful Oversight (SBWO)
- Specialty Maximum Watchful Oversight (SMWO)
- Specialty Medically Fragile Watchful Oversight (SMFWO)
Providers maintain responsibility for the provision or acquisition of services to ensure that each child’s physical, social, emotional, educational/vocational, nutritional, spiritual/cultural and permanency needs are met.
Children are placed in the best oversight environment based on their behaviors and characteristics, known as the Difficulty of Care Factors. Four main areas of a child’s life are assessed to determine the best placement.
RBWO reimbursement rates were established and became effective on July 1, 2007. Rates typically increase based on the amount of oversight required to provide a safe and stable environment for the child. In certain circumstances, a higher rate than the fixed rate may be required, therefore, a waiver process has been established.
- School Adjustment
- Performance in Home Environment
- Social and Community Activities
- Health and Developmental Factors
- Child Placing Agency (CPA) – All regions
- Pregnant and Parenting Teen Program (Second Chance – learn more at gcapp.org) – All regions
- Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC – learn more at Georgia Cares) – All regions
- CCI specialty programs – LGBTQ, developmentally delayed, autism – All Regions EXCEPT 8 (Muscogee)
Agencies seeking to obtain a RBWO Provider contract with the Department of Families and Children Services (DFCS) as a Child Placing Agency (CPA), Child Caring Institution (CCI), or specialty Independent Living Program (ILP) must complete an application process. Begin by reading OPM's process overview and then check the links below for more information on specific topics.
Please note that the CCI application is being revised to match the new FY 2022 RBWO Minimum Standards, available on this website under the "Key Documents & Forms" section. Pending that release, please review the following steps:
- As Georgia implements the Family First Prevention Services Act, OPM is considering CCI applications ONLY for programs offering specific services: Pregnant and Parenting Teen Programs (Second Chance -- learn more at gcapp.org); Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC -- learn more at Children's Advocacy Centers of Georgia); LGBTQ youth; youth with developmental delays; and youth with autism. If you are able to provide these services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - (404) 657-3400.
- As part of the CCI application process, you will need to supply a copy of your RCCL license. Learn more about that process here.
- As part of the CPA application process, you will need to supply a copy of your RCCL license. Learn more about that process here.
- CPAs are also required to train staff in SAFE home assessments. Click here for the most recent training sessions.
- When you're ready to start the application process, click this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FFBRX5G.